a diverse collection of travel photos and firsthand experiences while venturing across the globe. each destination has welcomed us with open arms and warm smiles, making us feel right at home. from argentina to utah - and thousands of miles in between - these are our visual memories of 'home'...just as we never imagined.

Sunday, October 4, 2009

Mercedes Sosa

Mercedes Sosa, considered the "Voice of Latin America", has died in Buenos Aires at the age of 74. Born in San Miguel de Tucumán - where we first met in 2002 - Sosa was known for her estilo folclórico...and admired for her opposition to the military regime that overthrew the government of Argentina in 1976. A previous post regarding her powerful music and background can be found HERE.



Tania: Before I was married, I imagined this song as a lullaby for my future son. I would sing "Duerme Negrito" - Sleep Little Dark One - as I would rock him to sleep each night. I imagined him with dark skin and lots of dark hair...but Dallin is the complete opposite! While Dallin's actual lullabies are a vast selection of songs that we love, this was our song before he was born. I learned this song when I was around 14...and I planned to use it as a way to share my love of Mercedes Sosa with my children. I'm so sad that she is gone, but I know her legacy and music will live in my life forever. I hope to keep both her memory and music in the lives of our kids!

1 comment:

satomblablabla said...

oh how sad!! I loved this woman. I borrowed one of her cds from mi negrita roommate, Ursula... and it was sooo awesome. I just remember loving her accent and passion in her voice. She will be greatly missed!